Some of the important features about Media Tools addon are listed below. This is followed by an overview about this addon. This summary contains few words about the addon, its function and features. Next is FAQ, this section is useful to get information about how this addon works in your browser. If you couldn’t find a specific answer, please fill the bug report form in this page or the contact form in the homepage to let us know about your question. Following the FAQ, is the bug report form. It is designed to collect user feedbacks and bugs about this addon. Users can suggest improvements or feature requests through this form too. Next section is for submitting comments about this addon which uses facebook comments plugin. The last section is dedicated to reports submitted through the GitHub website. We hope the information provided in this page, could help you get all the basics you need about this addon and enable you to have a better experience with Media Tools.
Media Tools is an addon that let you easily manipulate media files (Convert, Split & Extract, etc.) with FFmpeg commands via your browser.
4 Reasons to Use Media Tools
Allows you to convert, split & extract, etc. media files in your browser via FFmpeg commands.
Has a stand-alone UI window with no background activities.
Requires no internet connection if you have the native-client patch and FFmpeg client.
Available for all browsers and platforms (windows, linux and mac).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Media Tools?
Media Tools, is a simple and very lite add-on which allows you to easily manipulate (convert, resize, merge, etc.) Media files right in your browser. It uses an open-source software called FFmpeg. FFmpeg is an engine containing a suite of libraries for handling video, audio, and other media files and streams. In order to get more info about FFmpeg please read this Wikipedia page. This addon uses nativeMessaging technology to communicate with FFmpeg software on your machine. Before using this addon, you need to install FFmpeg on your machine. You also need the native client patch in order to build the communication between FFmpeg and your browser. Please read the following FAQs to get more info about this addon.
2. How can I operate with this addon?
In order to operate with this addon, please click on the toolbar button. The app UI will be open in a small and stand-alone window. Within the app, there are seven sections. From top to bottom, section 1 is for choosing the input file(s). Please note that input file should be a media file (i.e. flv, mpeg, mp3, gif, img, etc.) only. You can drag & drop files in the designated area within the app. Section 2, lists all the input files. Section 3 is for the FFmpeg path on your machine. For example if you put FFmpeg folder in windows 10 => 64bit machine => Program Files, the path is: "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe". If you have a different OS, please make sure to write the correct path in the filed. In section 4, you can write your desired commands. There are some sample commands available in the UI to choose from. There is also a history list which contains the list of previously used commands. If you are not familiar with FFmpeg commands, please read this page to get more info. In section 5, please write the destination folder for the results. By default, "C:\Users\Public" is set as the default folder for storing the results. In section 6 you will find run and stop buttons. Once you press on "Save & Run" button, the commands and input files are sent to the FFmpeg and the final result is generated. The last section is for the console logs. All logs in the app are written in this section. If the app encounters any errors, you will see the message in the console area.
3. What do I need to do before using the addon?
When you first install the addon, please open the app UI and adjust the path for the FFmpeg client (ffmpeg command-line client). Depending on your operating system, the path for FFmpeg could be different. For example, if you put FFmpeg folder in windows 10 => 64bit machine => Program Files, the path is: "C:\Program Files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe". If you choose a different folder for installation, please make sure to adjust the path accordingly. Once you set the correct path, please install the native-client patch. This patch is used to make the communication between the addon and FFmpeg (native app). Please read the following to get more info about installing the native-client patch on your machine.
4. What is native-client?
Native client patch is used for connecting your browser (Firefox, Chrome, and Opera) with native applications on your machine (Windows, Linux, and Mac). If you have an add-on in your browser that needs to communicate with an external application on your computer, this native client patch can be used to easily make this connection.
5. How can I install the native-client patch?
After installing the addon, you need to connect it with native applications (i.e. FFmpeg) on your machine. In order to make this connection, a separate patch is provided in GitHub. Please download and install this patch from here. Follow the instruction in the GitHub page to download and install the related patch to your system. After installing, the "Media Tools" addon your browser can communicate with FFmpeg on your machine (Window, Linux or Mac). In order to get FFmpeg software, please head to this page and find the right package for your operating system.
6. Can I use a different software other than FFmpeg to manipulate media files?
This addon only works with FFmpeg software. In fact, currently, the best engine to manipulate media files is FFmpeg.
7. How can I add commnads for FFmpeg?
If you are not familiar with FFmpeg commands, please head to this page and read the instructions on how to write FFmpeg commands. Some sample commands are as following: (all commands have -i input at the beginning)
1) Set the video bitrate of the output file to 64 kbit/s: -b:v 64k -bufsize 64k output.avi
2) Force the frame rate of the output file to 24 fps: -r 24 output.avi
3) Split a video into images: output%d.jpg
4) Convert images into animated gif: -i image%d.jpg output.gif
5) Convert a video into mp3 format: -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 192 -f mp3 output.mp3
6) Covert flv video file to mpg format: output.mpg
7) Convert video into animated gif: output.gif
8) Convert mpg video file to flv: -ab 26k -f flv output.flv
9) Convert avi video file to mpeg: -target pal-dvd -ps 2000000000 -aspect 16:9 output.mpeg
10) Convert a video to CD or DVD format: -target vcd output.mpg
11) Extract audio from video file: -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 192 -f mp3 output.mp3
12) Mix a video and audio together: -i audio.mp3 -i video.avi output.mpg
13) Increase/reduce video playback speed: -vf "setpts=0.5*PTS" output.mpg
14) Reduce video speed: -vf "setpts=4.0*PTS" output.mpg
15) Add photo or banner to audio: -loop 1 -i image.jpg -i example - test.mp3 -c:v libx264 -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 192k -shortest output.mp4
16) Add subtitles to a Movie: -i subtitles.srt -map 0 -map 1 -c copy -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset veryfast output.mkv
17) Change resolution of video files: -filter:v scale=1280:720 -c:a copy output.mp4
18) Compressing video files: -vf scale=1280:-1 -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -crf 24 output.mp4
19) Compressing audio files: -ab 128 output.mp3
20) Removing audio stream from a media file: -an output.mp4
21) Removing video stream from a media file: -vn output.mp3
22) Convert a specific portion of a video: -t 50 output.avi
23) Set the aspect ratio to video: -aspect 16:9 output.mp4
24) Trim a media file using start and stop times: -ss 00:00:50 -codec copy -t 50 output.mp4
25) Split video files into multiple parts: -t 00:00:30 -c copy part1.mp4 -ss 00:00:30 -codec copy output.mp4
8. Can I open the addon in toolbar popup?
No, this addon only opens in a stand-alone popup window. Simply press on the toolbar icon to open the UI.
9. How can I stop the ongoing process?
In order to stop the ongoing process, please open the app UI and then click on the - Stop Process - button in the UI.
10. Is this addon available for mobile browsers?
Yes, this addon is available for all browsers and platforms including mobile browsers. Please note that, in mobile view, the app UI may not look good since the mobile screen is not large enough to render the whole UI.
11. How can I reset the addon?
In order to reset the addon, please open the app UI and press on the - Reset - button. Please note that pressing on this button will reset all settings to default values. There is also a reload button on the top left corner of the UI. You can press on this button to simply reload the UI.
Your feedback goes a long way towards making this addon even better. With this Bug report form, you can submit bugs or suggest enhancements for the functionality or performance of this addon. Please note, this bug report form will be sent to the developer(s) of this addon. You will not get an immediate or personal response at the moment. However, the developer(s) may contact you through the email address provided in this form for further clarifications or requesting additional information regarding the reported bug(s).
Comments | Reviews
Please note: keep these reviews clean, and avoid the usage of derogatory or inappropriate language or terminology in references to individuals or groups based on race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, age, gender and etc. Do not submit bugs in your reviews, use the above bug-report section instead. Also, never post any personal information in these reviews.
GitHub Reports | Fork me on GitHub